- Budgets for NYC public schools for arts supplies and equipment have decreased by 79% since 2006.
- Less than 25% of NYC high schools provide arts instruction in dance, drama, music, and fine art.
- Less than half of all NYC public schools have dedicated space for performing arts instruction.
- NYC DOE 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10 Arts in Schools Report
WHY THE ARTS?
- Students with high arts involvement achieve higher test scores, watch less TV, participate in more community service, and show more enthusiasm in school.
- source: UCLA Imagination Project, Dr. James S. Catterall, 1998,
- High arts involvement in high school corresponds with higher graduation rates.
- source: Center for Arts Education 2009 Report, Staying in School